Tuesday, May 15, 2007

BASEL!!!

Basel became a short stop on my itinerary because I needed to catch a flight from there (via Easyjet) to Istanbul. I only spent about 10-12 hrs in Basel, but it turned out to be fine with me. I got there early in the morning and got myself oriented, stored my luggage in a locker at the train station and was of to explore the city. Basel is head-quarters to Herzog and de Meuron, a pair of brilliant architects. Walking around Basel, it was easy to spot their work all over the place.

The Rhine runs through the heart of the city and it reminded me a little of the Seine in Paris, but not quite as special. Don’t get me wrong though, it was still a vibrant and happening place to walk along and hang around, especially towards the afternoon when the blazing heat cooled down a bit and people were getting out of work and out of school.

I was a bit disappointed I only had a brief visit in Basel, but felt I was able to see a lot of the city and was ready to move on.

Here are the pics!



The Signal Tower by Herzog de Meuron.





These are the ferry boats that take you across the Rhine.

Can you believe Corb is on the 10 Swiss Franc bill?


More Herzog de Meuron.


Panoramic of the Rhine.


Basel has these really cool water fountains all around the city.

No comments: