Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Essence of Switzerland

That’s what they call this particular area of Switzerland, all around Lucerne, and I can see why. When looking at a map and dissecting the actual uses and activities around the lake, there is nothing really out of the ordinary. A promenade lined with a double-row of trees, a few cafes and bars, a museum (the KKL museum by Jean Nouvel), a street for cars, nothing really that special, right? Wrong. Whether it’s the peaceful nature of the lake, the awe-inspiring background of the Swiss Alps, or if its something in the air, walking around and experiencing Lucerne was unlike any other city I have been to. I was only in Lucerne a day and a half day, and it turns out the 1 full day I was there, it was completely overcast, but it didn’t matter. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but the place was extremely relaxing and an absolute joy to be in.

My short stay there included a walking tour of the city, where I got to walk up and down the old city walls, and an excursion around the lake. When exploring the Lake I eventually came to the small town of Vitznau, and was able to go up to Mt Rigi, one of the shorter peaks in the Alps, but nonetheless it was great to be up there.

My thoughts were that the Swiss know how to make the most of what they got, I couldn’t wait to explore Basel the next day!





The Swiss Alps from Mt Rigi


Lake Lucerne







Gorgeous Lake Front


KKL Museum by Jean Nouvel



A hotel in Vitznau.


View of Lucerne, from the city walls.

No comments: