Friday, May 18, 2007

The Pearl of the Aegean

Izmir, Turkey has come to be known as the "Pearl of the Aegean", and it's easy to see why. Although getting to Izmir was not exactly the most convinient way (ferry to train, train to a bus, and then another bus). But 9 hours afterwards, I was in Izmir, in time to take an afternoon stroll along the watefront and watch the sunset. Over the next few days I was able to explore the great sense of "destination" along the waterfront. The streets from the city center connected straight down the waterfront, along which ran Ataturk Caddessi, a green esplanade that seemed endless along the Bay of Izmir as it is beautifully cradeled by its surrounding hills.

Some 20 years ago, there was much debate about what to do with the waterfront, the Mayor of Izmir, at the time, thought it would be great to build a highway right along, however, one of the political layers in Izmir, who later became Mayor, was strongly against this proposal and advocated for pedestrain-oriented waterfront, which is what Izmir celebrates to the day. You can find people along the waterfront here at all times of the day, especially in the evening and night when everyone comes to enjoy a nice sea breeze or watch the sunset with thier special someone.

Unfortunately my stay in Izmir was cut short by 1 day (I was supposed to be there 4 days, but ended up staying only 3) because I had to catch a ferry that would take me to Thessaloniki. The particualr ferry only runs once a week. To catch the ferry I took a 1.5 hour bus ride to Cesme, where I was able to quickly explore while I waited for the ferry!




Ataturk Caddessi at Sunset.



Beautiful beach at the small town of Cesme, I had to stop by here to catch a ferry to Greece. I know....what a shame.


Kultur Park, in the centre of the Izmir.


Republic Square, right on the watefront!!


Ataturk Caddessi, strictly for pedestrians, right on the water, beautiful!


The green esplanade of Ataturk Caddessi is lined with cafes like these, I ate dinner at this one, while watching the sunset, it was well priced too!


More of Ataturk Caddessi, the street stretches all around the Bay of Izmir.


More of the gorgeous beach at Cesme.


The Izmir Clock Tower at sunset.


A nice and tranquil pond, in the middle of Kultur park.